• Sales Hotline:
    01206 860006
MCN #1 Award
MCN's Dealer of the Year 2017 MCN #1 Award
  • Motorcycle Sales Whatsapp:
    07841 053463

Motorcycle Training FAQ


A valid UK driving licence is required before taking any UK motorcycle test or training course. This can either be a full car licence or a provisional licence. 

Age limits:

Licence category Vehicles you can ride Requirements for licence Minimum age
AM Mopeds with speed range of 25 km/h to 45 km/h Compulsory basic training (CBT), theory test, practical test on all powered 2-wheeled moped 16
AM Small 3-wheelers (up to 50 cc and below 4 kW); light quadricycles (weighing under 350 kg, top speed 45 km/h) CBT, theory test, practical test 16
Q Same as AM plus 2 or 3-wheeled mopeds with top speed of 25 km/h Granted with AM 16
A1 Light motorcycle up to 11 kW (and a power-to-weight ratio not more than 0.1kW per kg) and 125 cc; Motor tricycles with a power output not more than 15 kW CBT, theory test, practical test 17
A2 Standard motorcycle up to 35 kW (and a power-to-weight ratio not more than 0.2 kW per kg), bike mustn’t be derived from vehicle more than twice its power Direct access route - theory and practical

Progressive access route - 2 years experience on A1 motorbike and a further practical test
A Unrestricted motorcycles in size/power, with or without a sidecar, and motor tricycles with power output over 15 kW Direct access route -CBT theory and practical (you must be at least 24)

Progressive access route - held an A2 licence for a minimum of 2 years - practical test (21 or over)
24 (direct) or 21 (progressive access)


Do I need to take a Theory Test before I can take a CBT course?

No, your CBT just qualifies you as a learner for a two year period and as such you do NOT need to take a theory test, you must however pass one before any full motorcycle test can be taken.

To practice a theory test online Go Here (Official DVSA website)

To book a theory test online Go Here (Official DVSA website)

Do I need to take the theory test again if I have already passed it for another vehicle type? 

Yes every type of licence category requires a theory test relevant to the vehicle that the test is being taken on.

Do I need to take a theory test and CBT to get a full motorcycle licence?

Yes. Everyone must take a motorcycle theory test and CBT before they can take the motorcycle practical test. The only exception is for someone who has already passed an A1 or A2 Motorcycle test, and wants to upgrade their licence.

Theory Test Pro in partnership with Colchester Kawasaki Training School


I have a full car licence, what can I ride?

If your licence was issued before 1st February 2001, then you can ride a 50cc moped, capable of not more than 30mph. You will not need to display L plates, and you can carry a passenger if the motorcycle has a passenger seat and rear footrests. If you want to ride a motorcycle of over 50cc, up to 125cc, you must take Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), you must display L plates, and you must not carry passengers. The CBT certificate is valid for 2 years.

What if my full car licence was issued after 1st February 2001?

Then you will need to take Compulsory Basic training (CBT). Once you have completed this course, you will be able to ride a 50cc moped without L plates, until your licence expires at age 70, and you will also be able to ride a motorcycle of up to 125cc (A1) with L plates (no passengers allowed) for 2 years from the date you completed the CBT course.

I have a full car licence. Do I need to change it before I can start my motorcycle training?

In most cases, no. Normally a full car licence would already have provisional motorcycle entitlement. You must still have a valid Compulsory Basic training certificate before riding any motorcycle on the road.

I have a provisional licence, what can I ride?

With a provisional licence, you are not allowed to ride on the road until you have completed Compulsory Basic Training. Once you have completed the course you can ride a 50cc moped, or if you are 17 years old or over, with category A on your provisional licence, you can ride a learner legal motorcycle up to 125cc. You will also have to display L plates at all times, and you are not allowed to carry passengers or travel on motorways. Your CBT certificate will only be valid for 2 years, so you will need to renew it, or go on to take your full licence before it expires.

I don't want to retake my CBT every 2 years - what can I do?

To ride a bike up to 125cc of no more than 11kW (14.6Bhp), you will need a CBT, motorcycle theory test and then take both module 1 & module 2 practical motorbike tests on a 125cc motorcycle that produces no more than 11kW (14.6Bhp). This is the A1 motorcycle licence category.


I’m 16 years old. Is there a way to ride a bigger bike? 

No. You can take a full Moped test, by first passing the theory and then the moped practical test. You would then be entitled to ride without L plates, and carry a passenger, but you would still be limited to 50cc

I took my CBT when I was 16. I'm now 17 and want to ride a 125cc bike. What do I need to do?

If your licence shows Category A provisional you can ride a 125cc machine for as long as your CBT certificate lasts (two years at a time). If your licence doesn’t have Category A showing, you will need to apply to the DVLA to get it added on.

Can I practice for my test on my own bike?

No, unless you are riding a 125cc only, you MUST be accompanied by a fully qualified DVSA approved instructor to ride anything bigger.


I took my CBT on an automatic scooter. Can I ride a geared bike?

Yes, provided you comply with the age and engine size/power restrictions mentioned above, the CBT is at present valid for either type of transmission (but this will change 2016/2017). We would always recommend however that you take your CBT on the type of transmission that you are going to ride.

I took my full licence test on an automatic scooter. Can I ride a geared bike? 

No, a full licence taken on a motorcycle with automatic transmission will only allow you to ride automatic bikes or scooters, until you pass a practical test on a motorcycle with manual transmission.

Colchester Aprilia Colchester Moto Guzzi Colchester Kawasaki Colchester Piaggio Colchester Vespa